Monday, January 21, 2013

Late Fall Birches

Late Fall Birches by linfrye
Late Fall Birches, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

10" x 13" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP
The temperatures, after our brief kiss of snow, warmed to the 50s and 60s and have been mighty pleasant. But this 'dip' into warmth will end tomorrow when we are plunged into the wintry temperatures of the rest of the country -- mid 20s and 30s .... Unseasonable for the North Carolina Piedmont. But that blast of arctic air gives me hope for another dusting of the white stuff, and gives me another week of hibernation.

Of course, this is also the time when seed and nursery companies send their incredible, air-brushed, magnificently colored catalogues, beguiling us with dreams of having the 'best garden,' producing the 'top vegetables,' enhancing our property with the 'best performers,' all to make us dream our way into spring-- neglecting, of course, to burst that bubble with the reality of the work, energy and sweat equity that comes with it.

I can't deny that I'm infatuated too with such promises and tempting photographs, but after years of gardening, that impulse to buy every seed in the book, accept all the accolades of this that or the other 'best', or convince myself that THIS year I will win the war on weeds, insects and heat, I am happy to dream in color catalogue splendor, while I enjoy a bit more of winter's rest and the leisure time at the art table.

Growing older has a few advantages .... Like experience.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

WOW!!! Another terrific white birch painting. How gorgeous. I love the trees themselves -- so realitic and the way the snow sweeps down and then up from left to right as if a wind had come through or it had been windy while the snow was falling.
The colors are perfect against the snow white. BRAVO.

Yes, being older has it's advantages, which I was delighted to realize but I wish it would come with just a bit more energy!!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lin - you are some artist...love these birches - wish I could come paint with you - I am sure just watching you would help me along my artist journey. It is cold here today and going to be even more so tomorrow. I admit I drool over those seed catalogs as well but the truth is my flower beds are overflowing now but I am sure I will find something new I need (LOL) - have a great week.

Joan Tavolott said...

Lin, this is gorgeous!!! I want to reach right out and touch the bark on those trees!!!

The temps have dropped here and it is supposed to be frigid tomorrow. That is not what I want to hear. lol

The seed catalogues must be so tempting to you!!! Enjoy!