Saturday, August 25, 2012

Scheffenberg Castle

Scheffenberg Castle by linfrye
Scheffenberg Castle, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

10" x 14" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

When Doris and I decided on this trip, we promised ourselves that we would spend a good amount of time painting and sharing ideas and techniques.

I so wanted to learn how to paint buildings like Doris does. So on one of the days we didn't tour, Doris set out to do a step by step of one of the castles we had visited earlier in the week. We decided on Scheffenberg Castle.

Doris is a master of perspective and buildings, so she made sure I had a good drawing before I proceeded. Then I went on to try her method in my own 'signature' ... and this is the result.

Both the trip AND the painting was a lot of fun!

THANK YOU Doris for the instruction AND the Castle visit!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

WOW. Incredible painting Lin. Doris is a master teacher and you are a master pupil. The painting is not only gorgeous but the perspective is perfect.

I also love the way you colored everything: the trees, the grass, oh that sky, and that beautiful building(s). So understated in its coloring. Understated beauty to last for the ages.

And I thought you couldn't add anything new to your repertoire -- now you just need portraits and you've got it all!! Bravo!

Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

I'm glad to see you are learning from each other!!! This is lovely...I like the look to the wall of the castle and the foliage. Nicely done!

Teri said...

Wow and double wow. Beautiful!!!