Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Time for Pansies!

Time for Pansies! by linfrye
Time for Pansies!, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

With cooling temperatures and the offical 'date' of fall almost here, it's time to clean the gardens of spent summer flowers and plant those wonderful, versatile, cool season pansies!

The horticultural therapy program at our college grows these each spring and fall - and the variety of colors and sizes of these cheerful flowers are always amazing! We typically plant these en masse at the garden in front of the sign for the Arboretum - and waves of white and purple seem to show up best from the roadside. I love the multi-hued faces the best .. they never fail to bring a smile!

We've been having rain most of the week, and the weeds are having their way with the gardens. We need the rain - but mercy do we have work to do!!

Mike returns to Charleston today for follow up and stitch removal ..thank you once again for all your thoughts and prayers -- he's mending well ...

My class meets tonight so it will be mighty late evening - and early morning tomorrow when our volunteers come to harvest for the hungry and get those gardens in order.

Hope your day is bright -- no matter the weather!

5 comments:

Teri said...

Just gorgeous!!!!!!

Joan Tavolott said...

Beautiful!!! You have such a great sense of color and your negative painting is super. Pansies remind me of my grandma's garden.

Enjoy your day!!

Katiejane said...

Personally, I love YOUR style. It seems you can make a painting appear out of just about any background. I'm always captivated by the depth and softness of your work. And who doesn't love pansies?

Clare said...

Oh Lin, Words fail me......... These a STUNNING!!!

Lorraine said...

Oh I love these colors and you've made the pansies (one of my favorites) so life-like. I love to touch their velvet blossoms!

Big hugs,
Lorraine