Monday, September 05, 2011

Moorland, Fields of Heather - Janina

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

Janina offered a wonderful challenge - a photo of the Moorland - fields of incredible heather (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33128445@N05/6093547385/). Though I've never seen these types of fields, the photo so reminded me of the lavender fields that I try to visit each spring .... I LOVE that flow of purply pink flowers and can just imagine being amidst such beauty. As I look at my painting this morning, it probably could use a bit of 'grounding darks' ... and I thought maybe I'd add those later -- but on the other hand, I liked the dreamy quality of this - much as what I felt when I painted it -- so I left the painting as I finished it yesterday.

Today we celebrate the importance of work - "Labor Day" -- and our celebration is to take the day off FROM work for a day of relaxation and leisure -- and I'll certainly join in that kind of celebration!!!

We're expecting rain - and in a way, for those of us who spend a good part of their working lives out of doors, rain means a day of leisure. Somehow when that bright yellow orb is shining, it seems to compel me to go outdoors and enjoy the beauty of nature around me ... When it rains, I tend to see that as an 'excuse' to cuddle in, paint a bit more, maybe catch a movie, maybe even a nap ...does the sun affect you the same way?

We've a bit of indoor chores to do despite the holiday and/or rain ... but for the most part, it should be a wonderful quiet day -- I hope you too have a terrific day of rest!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I like the dreamy quality of this painting also Lin. And I love those two big gorgeous full trees. a nice blend of colors.

It's overcast here when not raining and the temps have plummeted from the 98-102& high humidity KY had through the weekend to low to mid 70s this week. 71 is the high for the day!! Yahoo. While I thought it would give me lots of energy once it got cool, I guess with the rain I want to make soup and cuddle in too -- but hey, I did that all summer with the extreme heat so I guess the sun affects me to stay inside unless the temps are moderate!!

Enjoy your labor day and I hope it's free as possible of labor so you can rest up for your week.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Love the lavender in here. So striking.