Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Live Oaks on Cape Lookout, NC

Live Oaks on Cape Lookout, NC by linfrye
Live Oaks on Cape Lookout, NC, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

This painting is from a photo I took on Cape Lookout, North Carolina - that tip of the beach that reaches into the Atlantic Ocean across from Cape Lookout Lighthouse. We followed this path through the live oaks of this National Seashore Park, enjoying the relative quiet and coolness of the shady areas.

I post this today especially for those glorious giants I studied for all my college work, and which also line the streets of Charleston and maritime forests of the South Carolina's lowcountry. I pass many of these trees as I walk from my motel room to Mike's hospital room - and I always admire that unusual horizontal branching that is so characteristic of live oaks.

We had a bit of a set back yesterday after seeing the surgeon, and though all is well, progress has slowed a bit and we are still waiting for Mike's body to respond to food a lot better than its been doing. It's a very challenging waiting game right now.

Once more than you for all your thoughts and prayers .. I know it won't be too much longer before we call can head back to North Carolina.

6 comments:

Teri said...

More prayers and hugs for Mike.
Beautiful painting!!

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Lin, promise to storm Heaven with lots of prayers. Don't worry Mike will be fine. I think this painting may be my favorite of yours, which is difficult because they are all so lovely.
You take care

Joan

debra morris said...

Lovely painting. Hope Mike recovers quickly sometimes our bodys need a little more time

Joan Tavolott said...

I will keep my prayers going for Mike's recovery. This is lovely...I really like the live oak trees and how they spread and droop. Great job on this!

Katiejane said...

Oh, this is lovely, Lin. I can imagine walking with you along that beach.
Hope things improve soon for your son.

Lorraine said...

How did I miss this??? It's gorgeous and you know how I love trees, old, new, and in between -- in all seasons. The scene is lovely. I can just picture sitting there sketching, painting or even reading a book. Not today though. We went from 80 and sunny yesterday to 55 and rain today. Brrr. Quite a change.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on Mike and yourself too!
Big hugs,
Lorraine