Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cape Lookout Live Oaks after Papeix

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

There has been precious little time to paint this rainy weekend - this was painted a few weeks ago during one of those rare, but welcome, fits of inspiration that seems to create paintings without effort. I painted from this same photo of the live oaks on Capte Lookout earlier (http://www.flickr.com/photos/linfrye/6143118477/) but wanted to see if I could approach the scene using some of the simple and effective brushstrokes I have been studyding by Papeix (http://sites.google.com/site/jcpapeix/).

I like both of these approaches for different reasons ... and I find it interesting how different an approach can make in a painting of the same subject.

It's been a busy weekend -- we put up two canners full of field peas - half a bushel!! that is, after we shelled them all! Then finally had a moment to dash out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary ... today, it's all those pesky chores that wait for me each week --- the weekend flies by and before I know it, the work week begins -- or in some cases lately, continues from the weekend.

Driving to town for our dinner yesterday, I was noticing how yellow our landscape has become - already our tulip poplars are not yet golden, but definitely yellowing. And I can see through the woodlands more as leaves have begun to fall and the foliage thins ...

In my area of North Carolina, the peak of fall color won't occur until the end of October to mid-November, so I've a long time to watch the season turn ... but already I am hunting for colored leaves and those wonderful fall berries ....

Hope your Sunday is terrific!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

WOW. Love this style(s). You really captured what Papeix did very closely but with your own talent interwoven with it. BRAVO.

I loved Papeix work too; thanks for the site. Love his colors, his soft loose style and especially the cat!!

Fortunately yesterday was sunny and cool yesterday; no rain at all and sunshine is pouring in my windows as I write. I LOVE fall
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

I missed a few of these, so it is good to catch up. Love the way you did this one!!! I like the way you capture the shape and size of those live oaks!!!

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lin,

I love this painting, my post didn't go through the other day.

Have a great day.
Joan