Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pondside

Pondside by linfrye
Pondside, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

6" x 6"
Arches 140#CP

I painted this small version of a pond last week when longing for a cool break from the heat and having little time for painting. I'd like to paint this again in a larger format at some point - but for now, I"m considering this an exercise in methods ....

It's so funny how our moods and time allowances play into our artwork .... I suppose like anything else, we are all affected by events and emotions at the time we pick up our brushes. I'm finding these days that after a long day at work and after the high heat and humidity of the day, my energy stores are about depleted, and my paintings that night aren't as relaxed and energetic as they are when done over the weekend when leisure time is more available. Do you find that too?

At any rate, work nights will have to be practice for the most part - something to keep the brushes wet and the ideas flowing .....

How about you?

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice soft look to this!!! I'm always impressed with your art loose or not so loose. lol

I have a few more days at home and then we're off to Venice for 2 months. I will try to keep my blog going from there with some of my new paintings, and visit yours if I can.

Have a great day!!

Lorraine said...

So peaceful, soft and serene Lin. I can understand about the lack of energy after a more than full day at work, and about the heat and humidity adding to the energy loss.

However, I just seem to get lazier and lazier, with a day or two here and there where I have some energy and generally put that into cleaning the house. But I'm making an effort to perfect a little drawing I've been working on for several weeks now -- trying to learn perspective in a road that goes over hill and dale and the overlaps of snow in the fields on both sides of the road. I'm going to try and paint it now and keep at it until I get it. And then I want to try some impressionistic/abstract cats.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

First and foremost, this painting has a lovely cooling effect. You captured a lovely atmospheric place that we all need to be, just to get out of the heat. What I love about your blog Lin , is you are spot on that energy has a way of diminishing through out a long day. I go down hill about 2pm. Keep at it and yes keep those brushes wet.

Teri said...

This is so peaceful and serene. Love to sit on the bank and dream.
I know about emotions and painting. They do take a toll on me.