Thursday, December 30, 2010

South Carolina Snow and Pond Reflections

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP
India Ink
Winsor Newton WC

We enjoyed this particular snow event while visiting my daughter in South Carolina. Snow for them is even more rare than it is for us. Once the roads cleared, we drove around a bit hoping to find a few scenes to sketch. We found this small pond and tree reflection - with a bit of snow remaining on the field.

I used Bombay White India ink for the snow, trying to achieve that 'melting' look that the scene contained. Leaving the paper white would have been too 'snowy" I think ... but I'm not sure the ink conveys 'snow melt' either ...

At any rate ... it was a fun thing to try!

We've been spending most of our time on those chores we can't get done over the weekends - car service, banks, etc. so there hasn't been as much time to paint as I had hoped. Still, it's good to get some of these neglected tasks out of the way before returning to work.

Hope your day is terrific!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Your painting today is lovely, soft, and I do think it conveys the idea of melting snow, melted snow, and a bit still clinging to trees and ground. Neat idea to use white India Ink. I didn't know there was such a thing! Don't you love experimenting. I love seeing your results!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

I like the melting snow look and think you achieved it!! I admire that you try different things.

I will probaby get to the computer tomorrow, but I'm sending my new year's greetings now. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year! May 2011 bring you happiness, love, good health, and inspiration. Thanks for being such an artistic inspiration this year! Keep up the good work!