Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Inspired by Pineapples


Inspired by Pineapples
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

When temps get so uncomfortable that the usual fluids don't seem to quence a thirst, I often resort to summer fruits to do the job. Though my favorite thirst-quencher fruit is watermelon, pineapple ranks pretty high in my fruit basket choices.

I remember visiting the Dole Plantation many, many years ago - the acres of pineapples were astonishing to see, and Dole suggested endless uses of the fruit in all sorts of dishes. But what has remained with me all these years later is how they sprinkled sea salt over the sliced pineapple to help 'cut' the acidity! Doing so changes the taste a bit -- but one can sure eat a lot more that way!

We're into triple digits today and tomorrow - Stay safe and cool ...

4 comments:

Karen Gladys Henry said...

What a great idea, Lin! Pretty painting too! Hope you can stay cool! Hugs ;)

Lorraine said...

Lovely painting Lin. The top is very cool and he pineapple itself especially inviting. I love pineapple but have to agree that it is a bit too acidic for me so I don't eat it often. I'll have to try the salt idea. In VT we used to eat salt on our tart apples and people thought that was weird. But best is sharp white VT cheddar cheese and a hard juicy new fall MacIntosh apple. Yum.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

I love this composition! Adds a whole new dimension to pineapples. Such pretty colors also.

Joan said...

Boy does this look yummy and I love the cosmos below. Great photos of the kids!

I was able to upload to my blog! Yeah! Will be back in a few days to post again. Ciao!!!