Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Cold Morning Sun Up


Cold Morning Sun Up
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

Yesterday morning dawned frigid and dark with a sun almost as cold as the daylight. Before leaving for the hospital, I painted this from my upstairs window - the sun coldly glaring through a break in the clouds, the woodlands and trees midnight blue to deep violet, bits of pink edging the breaks in the trees. BRRRRR.

Mike made it through his surgery very well. The operation took an hour longer than expected, and the surgeon told us his recovery will be longer, more painful as well. Still, when we were finally able to see him in the ICU unit, his color was better than after the last surgery. It took several hours to get his pain meds regulated sufficiently to keep him comfortable enough to rest. His spirits were good, and we left his room for the night a bit more comforted that he would actually rest.

I return to the hospital today. I so remember his first day after surgery two months ago - it was a 'go and fetch,' 'comfort and talk' kind of day, and I wanted to be there for him today as well. As wonderful as our hospital is, and as caring as are the nurses, I firmly believe in patient advocates -- especially the first few days after surgery.

A fierce wintry storm has made its way to our area - it's been raining heavily and gusting winds, thundering and flooding since last night. Often when it thunders during the winter, it predicts snow -- so we'll see. But the ferocity of the storm will make driving very treacherous today - I'm so glad my drive to the hospital is short.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and kindness ... I am convinced that all of these have made this second surgery successful and have kept and will keep Mike buoyed through another number of weeks of recovery. Blessings and heartfelt thanks.

Stay safe and dry today .....

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Ooh such a stark and dramatic painting -- beautiful Lin!

So glad Mike is doing better this time despite the additional pain and longer recovery time. Keeping him in my thoughts and heart and you too!

We had that driving rains all day and night yesterday and today winds are gusting over 50! Whew; then it will get very very cold again. Take good care driving.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Sandy said...

What a heartfelt post, the painting is hauntingly beautiful, your talent is boundless - Your love and devotion will lift Mike up through recovery - and you will look at this painting and remember it all too well. God Bless you all.
Drive carefully - snow here now, as I too head to the hospital.

Pat said...

So glad to hear the good news. You are still on my refrigerator prayer list.

annie said...

As Lorraine and all say, beautiful and chilling with those moody skies.
So glad that Mike is doing better. He has had such a long journey through this, as well as you and the rest of your family. Keeping you all in my heart and thoughts.
annie

Joan said...

What a GORGEOUS moody painting!!! Wow!!!

I'm so glad to hear that Mike's surgery went well. I will continue my prayers.

The rain and winds are up here too. A perfect day to catch up on blogs, and then put up my Christmas tree. Stay safe and dry!