Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Muscadine Grapes


Muscadine Grapes
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

Almost fall - and pumpkins, gourds, apples, grapes -- the harvest time of our year. We had our own mini-grape harvest this weekend. The muscadines (sketched a few weeks ago) have turned a wonderful variety of burgundy to deep purple, to black/blue. This year, the first in so many, they are weighing down their thick vines entangled high in the trees so much that even as 'tall' as I am, I could reach many without a ladder! LOL

We collected enough to make a batch of grape jelly -- and it's turned a wonderful wine color in the glass and gold-topped jars I used for the process. Instead of the cloying sweetness of store-bought grape jelly, this has a fresh, tart-sweet taste that is really delightful.

Years ago, a friend of mine wove a basket for me consisting of the many vines she found growing in the woodlands -- the basket is not only a treasure for the friendship and craftsmanship it represents, but it also is a representation of all those woodland plants I love.

The rains have soaked the grounds again yesterday and the plants (and weeds) are enjoying another growing spurt. We're off to tame them before the Open House on Saturday .....

Stay well!

4 comments:

Joan said...

I love this and I love how your paintings are so autumn related. I half expected to hear you were making a little wine too. LOL I enjoy seeing your paintings and your writing every day. I'll miss it when I leave for France.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and vibrant painting Lin. And loved hearing about the jelly making -- something I gave up long ago. I always hated "store bought" grape jelly -- now I know why. I can just see all 4'?" of you reaching for those luscious grapes.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Wonderful painting Lin!! Perfect grapes.

Teresa said...

S' beautiful!