Monday, September 07, 2009

Coneflower Seedheads


Coneflower Seedheads
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

I cleaned the garden yesterday, and spent a good time pruning and tidying - readying my garden for fall and winter. I removed the tired tomatoes and squash, spent spiderflowers, weeded many of the ornamental grasses that had over- propagated, removed weeds, spent daylily leaves, and began spreading some of the seeds from the purple coneflowers.

I snipped a dozen or more of them and placed them in jars -- I just love their colors and their prickly seedheads. I've admired teasel seedheads, but not having any of those around, I substituted the coneflower heads instead.

This time of year and moving into winter, it's time to really appreciate the grasses and seedheads of plants. Although it is typically the color, shape, and scent of the flowers that attract us, if we observe well enough, we'll be absolutely amazed at the variety, ingenuity, and diversity of the mechanisms plants have evolved to disperse their seeds.

These prickly heads, while seemingly firmly held on a central axis, would slowly drop with every gust of wind or touch of my hand. As they're dropping, I'm collecting them, and spreading them around the garden. Already, I've seen the first year's showing -- leaves only -- so that next year (since coneflowers are a biennial), they'll be ready to product their incredible flowers. The cold of winter scarifies the seeds well enough so that there's little I need to do to 'plant' the seeds, other than spread them around.

I painted these twice, unable to decide WHICH background I preferred!

We're off today for 'Labor Day' --- and since I've labored most of the weekend, I think today will be a bit more resting! LOL

The weather's been incredible to get outdoors and in the garden! Have a great day.

4 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

Those are really nice - wel done!

Anonymous said...

They are equally lovely but I think the 2nd one (first on the blog) is my favorite. I used to love to decorate with dried flowers and "weeds" too. I still have some pussy willows from before I let my bush get to high for me to clip from, and some money plant. I'm exhausted and resting this Labor Day too; sleeping, reading, and petting the cats. We had long thunderstorms this morning so it's a good day for it.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Pat said...

Lovely as always. Wow you really got into the garden it must be cooling off.

Joan said...

I love how you can turn seedheads into a gorgeous piece of work!!! I love the autumnal colors that these give to the landscapes. Well done!!