Tuesday, July 14, 2009

PAIR OF PEARS


PAIR OF PEARS
Originally uploaded by linfrye
PAIR OF PEARS
Daily Practice
Journal

In my attempts to work thru various styles and watercolor techniques, I thought I'd simplify the subject matter and treat it somewhat 'differenty' each day this week (as I can).

I returned last night to a pair of pears - wonderful shapes and varying hues .. and worked on glazing methods. For these two, I applied over 6 glazes, some wet into wet, some wet on dry. It took a bit longer than I would have imagined since I had to wait for each layer to dry before applying the next - a time consideration I need to be aware of during my workweek. I made good time of the waiting though and Rebecca and I went for a bit of walk in between glazes.

I like the realism this technique can produce, and the careful application of paint and glaze was a good meditative approach I can see using when I need to calm down! LOL

We had a great rain yesterday -- yahoo! From where I work to a bit less back home -- I think I saw the plants dancing ....

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Teri said...

Well worth the effort Lin. They turned out beautiful with a great shine on them.

Teresa said...

Wow, Lin... these are beautiful! They have such rich color and luminosity. I like the results you're getting from the glazes :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Lin, your pears are incredible. The colors and the highlighted shine -- they look so real! Bill used to have me dry the painting to make the glazes go faster (with a small hair dryer). I don't know if that affects the final painting or not but a walk is good too! Incredible job!
Hugs,
Lorraine

squawmama said...

WOW Lin I just love the pears... great color!

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Pat said...

This is a lovely painting, but your painting always are. I love the sunflower story and painting, and the fushias. I am glad to see you are enjoying your yard.
Hugs

Joan said...

Fruit always looks like it should be so easy to paint, but it really takes a lot of layering. These are beautiful...wonderful rich colors and super shine on them. Well done!!!