Saturday, February 21, 2009

View across the Marsh


View across the Marsh
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Do you ever try to analyze why you choose certain images to paint? It seems to me that when I'm trying to loosen up a bit, or I've been under an abundance of stress, that I tend to choose marshes or fields -- both the kind of landscapes I'm familiar with and both scenes from my places I've lived and loved.

I lived for over 20 years in Charleston, SC, and while most folks living there tend to enjoy the Atlantic beach, I preferred the quiet lapping waters on the marsh side of the islands -- the fields of grasses, the gentler waters, the maritime forests, the bits of undilations in the land.

Fields are part of the landscape I occupy now - hayfields and barns, tobacco and hay - and the colors of the earth as sceen in the soil and vegetation - are very comforting to me.

What scenes do you prefer to paint?

4 comments:

squawmama said...

Good Morning Lin... Wow both descriptions of where you live & lived make it sound wonderful to me... We are around the concrete jungles of a city right now... I would love to be somewhere else but this is where we stay for 4 months to visit family. Have a wonderful Saturday...

Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous painting Lin -- i looks like it comes from you heart -- just beautiful.
Although I am into wild and colorful abstract art right now, I still love landscapes -- they are really my favorite of all. I just can't paint them like you do!!! Thanks for sharing this beautiful painting with us.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Lin - This is lovely!!! I like the peaceful colors and feeling of your marsh painting.

I tend to do landscapes, usually with water or buildings in them. I've always been a beach lover so I know that's my connection to the water...it relaxes and refreshes me.

Teri said...

Just simply beautiful and the peacefulness that your mind needs in your busy life.