Monday, February 23, 2009

Duke's White Garden and Redbuds

The climatic zone maps used by gardeners splits by a half zone the city where I work and the town where I live. That half zone is significant enough that cherry trees and redbuds are in bright bloom an hour south of me, while mine, just a bit more north, are still tightly budded, and I won't see flowers for another 2 weeks.

Charles and I spent the afternoon at the NC Botanical Garden lecture yesterday presented by Richard Westmacott on African-American Gardens. A terrific lecture and even more engaging book. Temperatures were in the mid 30s, very cold to me, and the gardens there were still in their winter browns and siennas.

I longed to see some color and feel warmer temps, and so returned home to some photographs taken last March from Sarah Duke Gardens. This is a view of their 'White Garden" while the redbuds were in full bloom. Bulbs upon bulbs upon bulbs created white blankets of flowers all around the large earthenware ....

Just the kind of hopeful vision for a cold, still-wintery day...

Happy Monday!

5 comments:

squawmama said...

How wonderful that you get to enjoy the Chery blossoms at two different times.... I would love to see pictures of that or even be there... I am sure you'll be warming up soon...Have a splendid day...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Anonymous said...

How soft and lovely Lin and yet so much detail. Just beautiful and so welcome on this bitterly cold day. Thanks for "springing" up my morning and have a good week.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Love the spring colors in this!!!I'm so tired of the cold weather, so it's nice to look at this and dream...

Teri said...

Beauteous! Love this springy painting and I just love Redbud trees.

Teresa said...

What a wonderful "Spring-y" painting!