Monday, January 19, 2009

A Painters Challenge, Cuckmere Breakwater

A few weeks ago, Bill posted a challenge - to paint this scene from his photograph (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorus_maver/3170660826/). I've watched many of my incredibly talented flickr friends rise to the challenge and paint some AWESOME paintings!

It took me a couple of weeks to build up my nerve (and to have a day without other obligations) to give it a try. I can say without hesitation -- it was DEFINITELY a challenge! And a wonderful learning experience. Thank you, Bill, for setting the bar higher -- and a thank you to the other artists who tackled this long before me, for their encouragement. Many of their works can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/groups/masterwatercolour/).

Our temps are warming -- mid 30s -- and would you believe it -- after all the snow I've been painting -- there's snow in our forecast! We'll see ..... Snow for us typically means everything shuts down -- we folks from the south do not 'do' snow with any kind of significant experience! lol

Stay warm, everyone!

6 comments:

Teri said...

You did a masterful painting here Lin. Just gorgeous!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Very beautiful Lin!!
chris p

Jenny said...

Excellent! Love it!

squawmama said...

Wow Lin this is by far one of my favorites... You took the challenge and as far as I am concerned you went over the top.... Loved it... Thanks for posting such a wonderful painting...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Anonymous said...

WOW and double WOW. I looked at the original photo and you did indeed interpret it in a masterful way as Teri said. I like it so much better than the photo and it's a gorgeous photo. Your details and depth are just perfect. You continue to amaze and dazzle me with your diverse talents.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teresa said...

Wow, oh WOW!!!

Lin, this is fabulous! Such depth and clarity of color. It may even edge out your snow pics as my fav so far!