Saturday, January 31, 2009

Crocus - Two Challenges


Crocus - Two Challenges
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Two dear friends assisted with this through their suggestions and challenges: MamaKay (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28885452@N00/) asked for a crocus to warm up the cold, snowy weather she's experiencing, and Laure (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31984665@N06/3237172279/) challenged both of us to do another pencilless painting.

I've also been reading as much as I can about painting 'shapes' .. as mentioned last week. Tony Couch "Watercolor - You Can Do it" and Robert Wade "Wades Watercolor Workshop" give some suggestions about value painting and this has helped me conceptualize the idea a bit more. It's going to take a bit of practice to really feel comfortable working through the ideas in my mind to the results on the paper.

Still, as Laure says in her flickr above, painting this way really pulls the mind into concentration -- you're thinking so hard and are so focused .... a good thing I believe.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I think that nasty bug is finally heading out so my date with the writing and research will have to be done today or tomorrow. Approaching deadlines really make me nervous! LOL

We're warming up to the 50s and 60s tomorrow, with ice and snow predicted for Tuesday -- go figure. As Fred predicted, we'll see our crocus under snow before spring arrives to be sure!

Meantime, those bright green crocus leaves are certainly a tease!

5 comments:

squawmama said...

Good Morning Lin... I love your painting this morning it has so much depth and the colors are awesome... Glad it will be a little warmer for you today but watch out for that ice storm.... How is the new little one doing???

Keep safe & warm
(((HUGS)))
Donna

Joan said...

Lin - Great job on this without the pencil sketching!!! I guess you have to do a lot of planning in your head first. I haven't seen any crocus popping up here, but maybe soon...

Teri said...

You are really getting brave and with great results!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Your painting is lovely. You are way along the way to mastering this concept!
We have a bit of a warmup today and tomorrow and more snow on Monday. I'm pining to see those crocus for real!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Linda said...

Hey -- this is beautiful and reminds me that it IS the first of February today -- could the crocus be coming up already? I'm going to have to go check! If not, these pretties will get me through until the real things make their appearance. Wonderful job, Lin!