Thursday, November 20, 2008

Italian Door with Karlyn Holman

Just for comparison, I pulled out the painting of the door we worked on during my 2007 workshop with Karlyn Holman. This was done using a more traditional approach and is similiar to one of the Italian pieces I didn't finish from this year's workshop. I thought it might be interesting to see some of her workshop and approach to painting changes since last year.

Thank YOU once more for your suggestions, ideas and comments on my abstract piece yesterday. I've begun trying to put some of these ideas into my daily practice, and will post those once I finish posting all the workshop pieces. It is going to be a HUGE challenge to work through some of these new ideas to incorporate them into my own.

The Arboretum was given a huge gift yesterday - sad in some ways, incredible in others. One of our local farm supply companies, after being in business for over 50 years, is closing their doors. They will be missed by many, including us, as this piece of history and community involvement changes. They've donated their large remaining inventory of supplies, chemicals, pots, seeds and the like to the Arboretum -- a gift worth thousands of dollars -- and for us, especially in these days of exceeding shrinking economics especially for consumable goods -- a most incredible, overwhelmingly appreciated gift.

I'll be gone for the rest of the day inventorying, packing, unloading and repacking these items - not only for our own grounds, but also for the teaching opportunities they represent for our landscaping students. I spent a good amount of time last night in sheer disbelief, humble gratitude and tears. In the eight years I have been here, we have received no larger gift, and in no more urgent a time. As I'm typing, I"m struggling for words to express the magnitude of this gift and the humility I feel ....I can only offer my heartfelt thanks and vow to use these items wisely and to pass along to others the same or greater degree of generosity.

5 comments:

squawmama said...

Good Morning Lin.... Love todays painting you knoe me and Italy... Hope your day is great...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. I am awed by the detail as well as by the beauty of the overall piece.

Yes, these are indeed sad times but the gift for the arboretum is incredible and you've worked so hard for so long, I am truly happy for you. One would hope that the business owners are at the retirement stage and that the employees have already found new jobs.
Hugs and Love,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Beautiful! You will be known as the 'Italian door lady' soon. And well deserved also.

Some gifts are so wonderful and yet sad at the same time.

Teresa said...

Oh Lin, this is GORGEOUS!! Reminds me of Richard Taylor's paintings. I love it!

It's sad to hear of a local business closing their doors after so many years... but, they could not have picked a wiser, more generous custodian than you (and the arboretum) on whom to bestow such a generous gift . I know you'll make good use of it.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Yes, a big difference in style, indeed. I like this one a lot as well. It is transmitting a warm atmosphere for the great choice of colors.

I'm sorry for the farm supply company. :(
I think they have chosen the right address for their gift, who will accept and use it with great respect.
Hopefully there will come brighter days for everybody!!