Thursday, March 20, 2008

Redbud


Redbud
Originally uploaded by linfrye
I"m continuing to try to record the blooming plants as they appear at the Arboretum. This redbud, Cercis canadensis, is in full bloom on our campus, while another variety is just beginning to bloom on the Arboretum grounds.

Redbuds are one of my favorite trees. Their bright spring flowers are so cheerful in their early opening -- they seem to brighten the woodlands! An added feature to this wonderful tree is that the flowers are edible -- and if lightly sauteed in oil, they taste just like spring peas! The young pods that follow the flowers are also edible....

If you try these 'wild foods' -- just be certain about identification AND that the trees have not been sprayed for pesticides or herbides.

PS -- This is best seen by clicking on the photo and then clicking "all sizes."

6 comments:

Joan said...

I am so impressed by your knowledge of plants. I never know what anything is...so I'd better not pick flowers to eat them. lol I love the delicateness to this and the color. Nice!!

Teri said...

Redbud is my favorite also. Your post gave me such nice memories of a redbud tree that lived for 20 years in my yard in Wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Li! I agree with joan, your knowledge of plants is wonderful!
Ronell

Linda said...

!! You can eat redbuds!! That's fascinating. I've always heard that you never ever use redbud or dogwood sticks for roasting marshmallows or hotdogs over a campfire, though, because they are poisonous -- is that true?

Linda said...

Oh! And lovely drawing, too!
;-)

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous; and I have one in my yard but it's not quite at that stage yet. Nor, given the number of birds that alight in it, do I think I will eat any of it! How interesting.
Hugs,
Lorraine