Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Practicing After Theory


Practicing After Theory
Originally uploaded by linfrye
I neglected to take the last painting from this weekend's workshops with me when I left for work out of town so I could post it -- so it'll have to wait until later this week. But I did manage to TRY to put some of all this wonderful instruction into practice -- on my own. (And remembered to take THAT effort! LOL)

I drew this old wooden door from a photo reference and applied some of the shadow and 'throw' methods I learned from Karlyn. I liked the 'lighter version" (not shown) but decided to try to add a bit of the 'drama' using darks taught by Tom Jones. I thought I could go even darker on this one to pop out that spot of sunlight -- but chose not too -- choosing instead a softer approach than Tom's. This is my result.

I am fairly happy with it, though I wish I had made the spaces between the stones a little narrower .... next time, perhaps ...

Isn't it funny how APPLYING all that wonderful learning will take a while to truly incorporate??!! LOL

8 comments:

Nina Johansson said...

I think you managed to put that theory into action really well. This painting is BEAUTIFUL, you really caught that light! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful light Lin. I'm so impressed!

Linda said...

I don't know Lin -- I think you've got it learned pretty well. This is really great!

Ann said...

This one and the sunflowers are beautiful! Looks like you did very well applying your new painting knowledge. You know, I'm still learning what my college profs were saying 20 years ago!
Ann

Lynn said...

Wonderful play and contrast of light and shadow. This is just lovely.

Dee said...

Wonderful application of the theory. The lights and darks are beautifully expressed. Great job!

Lorraine said...

See Lin, you are looking at the ref. photo again!!! If you hadn't told us, we wouldn't know that the strips were narrower LOL. It is a wonderful painting with such a nice play of light and shadows and really nice details. Super super painting!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful painting. Love the sunlight falling across that door. Nicely done.