Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Herb Container Workshop

Herb Containers

Last night I taught a group of folks about herbs and growing them indoors in containers. During lunch, I sketched the containers we would use as they appeared lined up on one of the tables. They're glazed ceramic, 8" across and about 14" deep -- really nice ... in muted shades of gold, blue and pink.

We had a ball -- though another late evening. We filled these pretties with basil, chives, rosemary, scented geraniums, thyme, sage, cilantro, and more -- all grown by my students.

We tasted some things I cooked using the herbs they'd be growing -- rosemary teabread, rosemaray spiced nuts, chocolate chip mint cookies, chocolate mint and fruit clusters, herbal teas, a nice cheese and herb mix, etc.

FUN ...!

15 comments:

Sandy said...

Nicely done, they show depth and personality - AND I wish I could grow herbs inside ;-(

Sandy
http://myfiddlestix.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Nice shininess and modeling on those pots, Lin

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work. I love the muted colors.

Susan in Italy said...

So, when are you coming to Italy to teach the indoor herb class? It sounds like a lot of fun!

Teri said...

I love these pots Lin. Beauties! Now you need to paint them with the herbs in them.

Your class sounds so super-wish I was there.

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful sketch! Your strongest subjects are containers and fruit, I think. You really get their rounded, hi-lit shapes, chere amie!

Anonymous said...

Hey -- it sounds like you are a pretty good teacher yourself! We'll all have to be on the lookout for YOUR workshops!
:-)

Terri said...

I want to take one of your classes. :o)

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Lin. Gorgeous colors, and excellent rendering of the shine.

Anonymous said...

Nicly done. What a fun class this must of been. I live in Pittsburgh can I grow herbs inside with the winters we have? And how can I do this? Have a happy turkey day.
Linda

Anonymous said...

It's certainly a class that I could do attending :D These are very different from the plants and spices that we use for seasoning. I love ceramic pots and your watercolor of them.

Ujwala Prabhu said...

dunno why it listed me as anonymous... hmmmm..

Tami said...

sounds wonderful Lin! The pots look so sweet all lined up!

Lorraine said...

Ooh, you do the round shapes so well -- I'm still in the "flat" stage -- bravo!
Hugs,
Lorraine (who is still reeling from all the wonderful art we saw at Artspace in Raleigh. Mucho thanks for mind boggling inspiration.

Jana Bouc said...

Your class sounds so interesting and the painting of the little jars is pretty. It would be fun to see them again with their herbs in place.