Friday, June 09, 2006

THE BIRDS -- The Birds!




I'm really enjoying this month's theme of birds for Cathy Johnson's former students. I didn't realize how much fun they are to sketch!

I've added watercolor to the hummingbird and the goose I sketched. My dh 'thinks' he saw the hummingbirds we usually have this time of year -- so after I post this, I'm heading to the kitchen to fix some sugar water to hopefully lure our colorful visitors.

I sketched the goose from a photograph -- I just didn't have time during my two days of work I had after returning from my daughter's. Our campus is FILLED with geese and this time of year, their goslings ... so cute to see on the PONDS -- but a true traffic hazzard to get around campus -- let alone WALK on the grass! LOL

I've also sketched and watercolored a cardinal. Our trees and feeders are filled with cardinals each year. Our shopping budget reflects the pounds of sunflower seeds we add to the feeders!

8 comments:

Sue Seibert said...

Lovely, and I see you gave the hummer some color. I like that!

Teri said...

Oh Lin, they are gorgeous!! That hummingbird is a honey. Gosh, you are getting so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penny said...

The color added to the bird sketches makes a world of difference doesn't it! I may never go back to plain old pen and ink sketching again!! These are wonderful!

Tami said...

WOW! Outstanding job on these birds Lin! The color is just wonderful on the Hummer!

Anonymous said...

Love your cardinal

Karen Sandstrom said...

Your birds are wonderful, Linn. I especially like the hummingbird (because I crave hummingbirds, which I cannot attract no matter how many feeders I put out). The Canada goose is really well rendered, too.

Willie Baronet said...

Love these, esp the second one. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish you could see my pitiful attempts at birds! Yours are tremendous! Wow!
Lorraine